Lipids (Fat Emulsion)
Intralipids 20% (20% IV Fat Emulsion) (A 20% Intravenous Fat Emulsion) is a sterile, non-pyrogenic fat emulsion prepared for intravenous administration as a source of calories and essential fatty acids. It is made up of 20% Soybean oil, 1.2% Egg yolk phospholipids, 2.25% Glycerin, and water for injection. In addition, Sodium Hydroxide has been added to adjust the pH so that the final products range is 8.
- Liconoleic Acid:(Omega-3/6) Keeps the skin impermeable to water.
- Arachidonic Acid: Created from the breakdown of Liconoleic Acid; can form prostoglandins which help with clotting, induce inflammation and cause smooth muscle contraction. In alternative pathways it can also form leukotrienes, which are one of the most potent inflammatory agents in the human body.
- Oleic Acid: (Omega-9)Facilitates wound healing, some studies suggest benefits towards cancer, autoimmune and inflammatory disease.
- Palmitic Acid: Antioxidant; can raise cholesterol levels by itself, however this is prevented when it is combined with Linoleic Acid.
- a-Linolenic Acid: (Omega-3) Reduce inflammation, may help prevent heart disease and arthritis, lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, and decrease inflammation due to asthma; may be important for brain health and development, as well as normal growth and development.
The major component fatty acids are linoleic acid (44-62%), oleic acid (19-30%), palmitic acid (7-14%), α-linolenic acid (4-11%) and stearic acid (1.4-5.5%).1 These fatty acids have the following chemical and structural formulas:
- Administer through a PICC/Central Line
- Must have filter on line
Mestrovic, T. (2014, December 16). What is Linoleic Acid? News Medical. Retrieved from http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Linoleic-Acid.aspx
Alpha-Linolenic Aicd (2014) University of Maryland Medical Center. Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, Solutions Acupuncture, a private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.